Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

I hope you are having a great day...it is a bit cold and rainy here, but other than that....

Last week wasn't terribly exciting as far as meals went, but, just in case you are looking for ideas...

Monday we had baked manicotti with salad and garlic bread.  I tried a new sauce recipe and Mackenzie was much happier with this version.  Seems she doesn't like the simple marinara sauce I often serve because it is too tomatoey!  uggggh.  Wish she had told me that a while ago.  Of course, the other two like the more tomato flavor.  oh well.


Tuesday we had an oven roasted chicken (beer butt) with mashed potatoes, broccoli and tomato.  Yummo.  I roasted the chicken upright over a can after injecting it with a mixture of beer and spices.  mmmm, so tasty.    I think I may want to invest in one of these for the grill this summer.  Since we don't usually drink out of cans it would be so much more convenient.

Wednesday I made beef stew.  I really need to start eating more beef as the freezer is still quite full and it won't be long till we need to place our order for this years steer.

Thursday I cooked a London broil in the crock pot with some fries and peas.  I hadn't planned on serving it with peas, but forgot to add them to the stew the night before.  lol  It came out really tasty and I had plenty of leftovers for sandwiches over the weekend.

Friday was sausage and peppers over some penne pasta.  Quick and easy and in the oven, leaving me plenty of time to drive in circles.  hee hee

Well, now that I am back to thinking of the vertical grill thing with the cup to hold all the liquid for the chicken...how about if I share the recipe for the liquid?

Beer Butt Chicken (yep, makes the children crack up when I call it that)


12 oz of beer
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 Tbsp paprika
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
pinch of cayenne
1 3 1/2 lb. whole chicken

Preheat oven to 350

Mix the spices into the beer and pour back into can.  Place the chicken over the top of the can (shove the can up the chickens butt. roflmao) and place in a roasting pan with the can upright.  Roast for approximately 1 hr or until chicken is cooked through.  Carefully remove chicken from its throne and enjoy.

I have a few projects to share later this week, including one I made especially for Valentine's Day.  So, I hope to see you back.

Hugs.

Nancy

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I have seen Paula Deen make the Beer Chicken before! I have never tried it. Thinking I need to make some stuffed shells after seeing your Manicotti. I haven't made that in a while.

Heather Landry said...

It all sounds good to me. If you lived closer we could take turns driving in circles and cooking. LOL I like the sound of that beer chicken!