Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween

Because it is Halloween....
Because I haven't posted menus or recipes in a while....
Because Ainsley is procrastinating and I don't feel like yelling at her right now...

I thought I would share a quick recipe with you.  This is a family favorite.  A good friend of mine gave me the recipe a while back, and I have tweaked it a bit over the years.

Italian Sausage Soup

1 tbsp. olive oil
1 med yellow onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb Italian Sausage, sliced
1/3 c. dry red wine
14 oz beef broth
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 14 oz can cannelini (white) beans, rinsed
10 oz fresh spinach
1 lg zucchini
grated parmesean for garnish

In a large soup pot heat olive oil over medium high heat.  When oil is hot add onion and cook till translucent  approximately 3 minutes.  Add Italian sausage and garlic and brown another 5 minutes.  Add red wine and scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot, that's the good stuff.  Add next 8 ingredients and cook covered for at least 1 hour. You can leave it on the stove as long as you like.  The flavors will just blend and marry.

Serve with parmesean cheese on top.  (I left it off mine because I am trying to lose weight).

I guess it is time to go fuss....hee hee

Hugs.

Nancy




2 comments:

Cindy deRosier said...

Sounds delish!

Heather Landry said...

Oooooooh yummy! Thanks for the recipe Nancy.