Monday, January 17, 2011

Menu Monday

I have decided to stick to love, hate is too great of burden to bear. MLK. 

Hi everyone!  I hope you are enjoying this lovely day.  The children and my husband are both off today for MLK day!  Such a great holiday,  a day to remember a man whose message of tolerance and love.

Last weeks menu was pretty simple.  We actually had a night we could sit down and eat together as a family.  Goodness that was nice.

Monday we had Gyros.  We had made a leg of lamb over the weekend when my sister and niece were here, and the leftovers were sitting in the fridge screaming for tzatziki sauce and pita bread.  yum!!!!!

Tuesday was the night everyone was home...and you know what the children wanted?  Hamburgers!  Telling when the children's idea of a special, can have anything because I am home to cook, and we can all eat at the same time dinner is hamburgers.  lol  I won't bore you with a photo of a hamburger today.  But they were tasty!  We found some brioche buns at Whole Foods that totally rocked!

Wednesday I made homemade chicken noodle soup.

Thursday was homemade lasagna.  I still don't know why I let the children talk me in to cooking these things that take all day with lots of chopping and many dishes for dinner.  lol  I think I have shared photos of lasagna?

Friday...well, Friday was super easy (I guess to make up for the lasagna, hee hee).  It is crab season here, so cracked crab and caesar salad!  How easy is that?  Phil picked them up at Whole Foods and they were so tasty.
That is obviously not me in the photo and not our crabs.  The five of us couldn't eat nearly that many in one sitting.  hee hee...It is a stock photo I found because, well, they didn't look so pretty once they were cracked and cleaned and in a big bowl.  sigh  But they sure did taste good!  Crab season isn't nearly long enough.

Ok, well, a recipe for this week?  How about Tzatziki sauce?  It is delicious, and somewhat nutritious.  I love to eat it on pita bread for a snack.  This recipe comes from Food Network.  It is a Barefoot Contessa recipe.  I love her stuff.

Tzatziki Sauce


  • 1 pound (1 pint) plain yogurt (whole milk or low fat)
  • 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled and seeded
  • 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar or white wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
  • 1 tablespoon good olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh dill
  • Pinch freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Place the yogurt in a cheesecloth or paper towel-lined sieve and set it over a bowl. Grate the cucumber and toss it with 1 tablespoon of kosher salt; place it in another sieve, and set it over another bowl. Place both bowls in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours so the yogurt and cucumber can drain.
Transfer the thickened yogurt to a large bowl. Squeeze as much liquid from the cucumber as you can and add the cucumber to the yogurt. Mix in the sour cream, vinegar, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, dill, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. You can serve it immediately, but I prefer to allow the tzatziki to sit in the refrigerator for a few hours for the flavors to blend. Serve chilled or at room temperature

I found some time over the weekend to work on quite a few projects.  Be sure to stop back in to check out the craftiness I have been up to.

And don't forget to check out the forums at Catch the Moments Kits and Sassy lil' Sketches.  Catch the Moments Kits has some huge news!  I know you already love CTM because of the low prices and great products. Well, things are about to get better! Starting now, all new kits will be $15.95 and add-ons $5.95! And the best part, they will include the same amount of great product...just a little savings for you!

See you later.....

Hugs.

Nancy





3 comments:

Heather Landry said...

I love the MLK quote that you posted. I'd never heard that one. Beautiful! Speaking of beautiful... I'm loving your blog redesign. Thanks so much for sharing your menu with us. It all looks delish! The cracked crab especially sounds yummy!

holly* said...

yum yum nancy! the soup sounds super good right now! have any left overs?!?! erm... from a week ago... hum... nevermind...


ps. you need to come crop soon! its been too long since i've seen you! maybe we can figure out a day at sarah's or even at MLO soonish!

Sara Zenger said...

I love your new blog design! Your soup looks so good!