Monday, October 11, 2010

Menu Monday

Welcome to another installment of Menu Monday!!!  Woo Hoo!
Let's just jump right in.....


Monday we had baked manicotti.  This recipe was one I just made up, it worked pretty well holding in a warm oven, but definitely was best for those who got to eat first.  

Tuesday was a big salad.  I had a ton of things going on Tuesday, so Phil did the chopping.  Believe it or not, there is Romaine lettuce underneath all that meat.  This is a Southwestern Steak Salad.  Phil included avocado, corn, tri-tip, black beans and tomatoes.  I like a chipotle ranch dressing, the kids go with plain ranch.  


Wednesday....ummmmm...Phil decided to help out and thru everything in the crock pot for Chicken Cacciatore when he got up early. Have to say, not a fave.  We got the recipe from one of my crock-pot cookbooks.  How you can put so many yummy tastys into one dish and have it taste bland?  I love Chicken Cacciatore, but this recipe just didn't work.  I think this is one of those cases where you really do need to go thru the steps of browning and sauteeing before adding to the crock pot. I will definitely try this again, but I need a different recipe.


Thursday was Sausage Soup.  This is always a favorite in my house.  Everyone loves it!  And like most soups, simple and easy.  And can hold well in either the crock pot or on the stove top.  I made a double batch because we were having a couple of extra people over for dinner.....didn't hardly have any leftovers.

And finally, Macaroni and cheese.  What can I say about home made macaroni and cheese.  It was yummy, it was creamy, it was delicious.  It sat in a warm oven waiting for each round of people, but it did get a little dried out.  I guess that is part of the problem with the whole, multiple dinner times, sometimes things get a little dried out.


Well, the big hit this week was the sausage soup.  So that is the recipe I will share.  

Sausage Soup

1 tbs. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced 
1 lb. Italian sausage, sliced if in casing
1/3 c. dry red wine
1 14 oz. can diced tomato
1 can cannellini or great northern beans (rinsed)
14 oz can beef broth
1/2 tsp oregano
5 oz chopped spinach
1 lg summer squash, sliced

On medium high heat sauté onion and garlic in olive oil till lightly brown.  Add in Italian sausage.  Cook till the rawness is gone, about 5 minutes. Drain any fat.  Add in the red wine being sure to scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan.  Cook until most of the liquid had cooked off.  (If you are going to cook in the crock pot now is the time to move everything.) Add in tomato, beans, beef broth, and oregano.

About 10 minutes before serving add spinach and squash.

Hope you enjoy

Hugs.


Nancy

6 comments:

Heather Landry said...

I posted this big long comment thanking you for posting the soup recipe, and telling you I've never eaten Chicken Cacciatore. LOL Blogger ate it! Anyway... that salad looks divine! I am moving in with you. You cook way more and way better than I do. LOL

Stay True To God said...

Awesome post Nancy!! :) I love your menu and thanks for another recipe!! Totally looking forward to next weeks installment of "Menu Monday!!!! :)

God bless & big hugs...

Tracy

Michelle said...

The soup looks wonderful!! I LOVE baked mac and cheese!! It's a fav at our house. I have made chicken cacciatore too. I too am searching for one I really like. I make stuffed shells, but the kids don't like it because it has spinach in it. But that is what is for dinner. LOL Thanks for sharing recipes!! Always fun to try new things!!

Sara Zenger said...

Your making me hungry! Thanks for sharing!

Cindy deRosier said...

I'm enjoying this dinner series- lots of great ideas! I'm definitely going to try your Sausage Soup.

Nati Tristan said...

OMG! All of that sounds soooo delish and look so delish! That salad looks absolutely amazing!!!! I am watching the food network now and they are doing a Chicken Cacciatore recipe.. it looks delish! It's the show "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef".