Monday, October 4, 2010

Menu Monday

As promised, I am back today with a new feature.  Menu Monday!  woo hoo!!!!  


As you have probably gathered, I am crazy busy these days with driving kids.  Ainsley is the first out to the pool, quick run back to the house (45 minutes round trip) to feed Brighton and Mackenzie dinner before running Mackenzie to the ballet and then back to the pool to get Ainsley dropping Brighton for his practice..  Finally home and dinner for Phil, Ainsley, and I. 


I leave with Ainsley at 3:45 and make it back to the house for my dinner at 6:30.  Phil and I alternate between picking up Mackenzie at 7:30 and Brighton at 8:30. Well, needless to say, the crock pot, salad bowl, soup pot, and casserole dish have become my best friends.  lol  


And, you may or may not know that we are really picky eaters.  Not picky as in we don't like certain foods, but picky in that we try to only eat whole foods.  So, that means I need to get creative.  And I thought I would share my successes...and failures.  This is a whole new way for us to eat.  In the past we have always had dinner as a family fresh cooked each day.


Since we make our menus on Saturday and shop the farmer's market and grocery on Sunday, I thought on Mondays I would share our menu from the week before.  And, I will share one of the recipes that the whole family loved and enjoyed.


Monday - It is always meatless Monday.  This week, burrito bowls.  Pinto Beans and lots of yummy toppings.  The kids love this one.   I will have to remember to take a photo and give you the recipe for this soon.

Tuesday - Taco Salad
Wednesday - Baked Rigatoni

Thursday - Red Chili


Friday - Baked Potato Soup (another meatless...well, almost meatless dish)


And, since my good friend Heather already asked...the recipe for Baked Potato Soup.


Baked Potato Soup


Ingredients 
6-8 slices bacon, crisp with drippings
1 c. onion
1 clove garlic minced
2/3 c. flour
2 c. heavy cream (warm)
6 c. chicken stock (hot)
4 c. diced peeled baked potato
1/4 c. chopped parsley
1 1/2 tsp dried basil  
1 1/2 tsp hot sauce
1 1/2 tsp coarse black pepper
1 c. grated cheddar
1/4 c diced green onion.


Saute onion and garlic in bacon drippings.  Add in flour, stirring to combine.  Cook for 5 minutes, not enough to brown, but getting rid off the flour taste.  Add in cream and stir till thick and bubbly.  Begin adding in stock a bit at a time.  Once all is combined bring to a boil and add seasonings and potato.  Top with cheese and green onion.  Yum!!!!!



As you can see....I didn't get photos of every nights meals. But, this was a bit of a last minute idea.  And why?  My life is crazy and I thought it would be good to share how we cope; and because last week Michael Pollan game to Google for a talk and gave everyone a copy of his latest book Food Rules.  




Well, being that I love Michael Pollan and already have this book, I thought I would give it to one of my followers.  So, here is the deal.  Be a follower of this blog and leave me a comment and on Friday I will pick someone to send this book to from the comments.  Sounds like fun, huh?  


Hugs.


Nancy

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Baked rigatoni sounds really good!!! Love Italian food!!! You have a great system worked out for your dinners.

Cindy deRosier said...

I thought I already was a follower, but I guess not! I would LOVE a copy of the book. I am a huge Michael Pollan fan and have this book on my wishlist.

I can't believe your crazy schedule. Imagine how much crazier it would be if you were doing school dropoffs and pickups too. Yikes!

KellyCali said...

Oh My that Taco Salad looks especially delish!!

I'd really love to know what all you have in there. Also, is the prep time pretty quick?

Also, this may sound silly, but how do you & your family eat it? (do you eat it, as is...on a torilla...on a pita or tortilla chips, etc?) I'd so love to hear more Miss Nancy! XO

A Soldier Girl said...

GIRL that taco salad LOOKED SO DELICIOUS .. wow .. love that Menu Monday concept ..

Heather Landry said...

I want the recipes for the other stuff too! LOL I'm not demanding at all. I'm glad you're doing recipes on your blog now! I'm already a follower! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Sara Zenger said...

Great ideas!! I cant get enough soup this time of year!!! I cant wait to try your potato soup!!! If I can manage not to burn it I just might make it for my Soup Exchange Party in November!

Thanks for sharing!

Stay True To God said...

Wow Nancy... we're alot alike!! Our family has also recently gone all "whole foods" and you know I'm crazy busy too!!! So, I'm constantly looking for great recipes. I've added a new stainless steel wok from Costco to my list of best friends! LOL!! It was only $30 and it's awesome... perfect for stir fry veggies!! I absolutely love your Menu Monday idea and thanks for the Baked Potatoe Soup recipe... looks yummy!! Your photos are awesome... what a great mom & wife you are to serve such wonderful meals to your family!! Wish I was as disciplined as you are. Oh... and I'd love the book by the way!! God bless you and your family and big, big hugs... Tracy

kate blue said...

I know its an older post but yes, the crock pot is my friend! I made a great pork roast with black beans last week...can we say YUMMO????