Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Cracks and Shine - Scrapbook Pal DT Entry

I posted this a bit ago over on Flamingo Scraps and never got around to sharing it here with you.



I have had a number of people ask me what the difference is between the Crackle Glossy Accents, the Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paint, and the Rock Candy Distress Stickles.

First off, let me say that the Distress Stickles, are that....Stickles.  They are a type of glitter glue.  Distress Stickles are different from the regular Stickles in that they are made to cover larger areas, not to do fine work.

I hope these photos can help you determine the differences.


I started with three flowers cut from patterned paper.


I covered each with a different medium.  I do not like to use the tip of my applicator to spread the glues as I find it clogs the tip. For the Stickles, I use my finger, for the Crackle Glossy Accents, I used a brush.


I let each dry.  The Distress Crackle Paint dries the fastest.  Followed by the Crackle Glossy Accents, and finally the Stickles.

In the end, you can see that they all have a nice shine.


The Stickles has much more glitter than the other two.


The Crackle Glossy Accents have larger cracks, and while being quite shiny doesn't have the glitter of the Stickle.

And finally, the Distress Crackle Paint

It has small cracks, and not quite as much sparkle as the Stickles.

They all work great on your projects and each can be used for different things.  When the Crackle Glossy Accents dry, they become fairly stiff, while the Distress Crackle paint reminds fairly pliable.  So that, or the size of the crack may help you make the determination as to which of those products to use.  I usually only use the Stickles on smaller pieces as you could quickly go through an entire bottle if you coated large areas.

And finally, these aren't the flowers I showed above, but I did cover the large raised flowers with the Rock Candy Distress Crackle Paints on this Prima Pastiche layout of my daughter.  I stamped the background with acrylic stamps using glimmer mist as the medium.  I also used glimmer mist to paint the journal block.


Hugs.

Nancy

9 comments:

sarah said...

thanks for sharing the diff between the 3. i have the crackle stuff, and i haven't even used it. haha. :)

thanks for inspiring me to bust it out and use. :)

you free thursday?

hugs,
sarah.

Tracy S said...

Awesome, Thank you so much for sharing. I have often wondered about the crackle paints myself. Not so much the Stickles.. I am already obsessed with those..lol Thanks for the tutorial. I really want some of the Crackle accents now.

Dakota Bear said...

Thank you for sharing the information, it is very helpful.

Tracey Jean said...

Thanks for sharing. Maybe it will encourage me to use my Crackle Accents instead of just looking at it. LOL.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info! I've been scared to waste money on these products just to try them. Now I know which one I like.

Pam Callaghan said...

thanks Nancy, it is very helpful that you posted this. I never know which glaze to buy!

Anonymous said...

So cool! Thanks for sharing this!

Michelle said...

A great tutorial Nancy!! I don't have any of the products you mentioned. But, now it will be easier to know what to buy when I do.

Heather Landry said...

Such a fabulous tutorial. Unlike Michelle, I have all three, but I never use them. Yikes! I LOVE your blog redesign girlie. It looks totally awesome!